Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jiriteach
    Participant

Hi – Anyone know why there seems to be a difference in what the call centre see’s for seat availability for upgrades that sites like Expert Flyer?

Am Star Alliance Gold so was checking on an upgrade from Economy to Business using recognition. I ring the call centre and all they can say if that the flight is looking pretty full with 1 seat available in Premium Economy or Business.

If I use the Air NZ website and try and book and follow through to Seat Select – I see 6 seats available in Premium Economy and 6 available in Business. If I use Expert Flyer – I see the same thing.

Any reason for this?

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I’d assume that while they may have sold the seats, they haven’t allocated them yet (or PAX hasn’t seat selected). I think you’d need to look at fare class availability over seat allocated.

Even if there are seats, upgrade confirmation will depend on upgrade fare class availability on the flight.

jiriteach
    Participant

I’d assume that while they may have sold the seats, they haven’t allocated them yet (or PAX hasn’t seat selected). I think you’d need to look at fare class availability over seat allocated. Even if there are seats, upgrade confirmation will depend on upgrade fare class availability on the flight.

Ah – Good to know. Thanks. I take it ExpertFlyer doesn’t show fare class availability? Any other sites show this?

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I believe ExpertFlyer will show you, but you’d need a paid subscription. Only certain classes will be available for upgrades. Hopefully Steve Biddle will see this thread soon and confirm.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

You can see A class availability on expert flyer into Premium Economy but you can’t see R class for business on expert flyer. I read some people call up to clear upgrades. I’ve had it clear pretty much immediately after booking without calling.

If you don’t have access to expert flyer and you’re after premium economy you can just go through the booking process. The website shows you in brackets if A class is available. Look for ‘deal’ or the purple triangles at the top of the boxes. They’ll likely have A class available. Then book and apply your upgrade. It should clear < 30mins. I never checked prior to 30mins.

If you’ve already booked and then find A class, you could call up and ask them to clear your upgrade. I’m not sure if it clears immediately if you have booked but wait for A class and then apply online.

Also with business class, if there is I class available I would call and see if they can clear your upgrade.

It’s not about how many seats you see on the seat maps, there have to be specific classes available to clear upgrades. They will process the upgrades closer the time and well, you really don’t know who else is in the queue or if they requested their upgrade earlier etc

jiriteach
    Participant

Thanks for the info all – Very interesting.
    Had a look on ExpertFlyer with a trial subscription and available classes for the flight that I am on –

C – Business at least 3
    U – Premium at least 3
    E – Premium at least 3

I assume that if these are not sold – they are passed on for rewards/upgrades?

Thanks

Kiwiwings
    Participant

If not sold yes, should be available for upgrades but the flights close ~ 3hrs prior to departure when check-in opens. Some people have had upgrades clear at the gate so it could happen any time.

Unless you can confirm them prior it’s a fingers crossed situation because you don’t know who else is in the upgrade pool with you.

I think paying for a twin seat long haul is worth it for the extra space. I lift the arm rest up and swing my legs into the middle seat area which is good for a stretch. I don’t think they make you pay though if it’s light loads.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Thanks for the info all – Very interesting. Had a look on ExpertFlyer with a trial subscription and available classes for the flight that I am on – C – Business at least 3 U – Premium at least 3 E – Premium at least 3 I assume that if these are not sold – they are passed on for rewards/upgrades? Thanks

This means there are 3 BP and 3 PE seats that are being offered for sale by Air NZ. It does not necessarily mean that there are 3 seats necessarily left – it just means Air NZ are willing to sell 3.

The simple reality is the vast majority of upgrades are only cleared at the airport or the gate. Unless you’re an Elite looking for confirmed upgrades calling them really won’t do anything, and there are only a handful of pretty unique situations where calling could get upgrades cleared.

jiriteach
    Participant

Awesome – Thanks all for clarifying these bits for me. Very useful to know 🙂

GlobalTraveller
    Participant

When I called about some Premium Economy upgrades recently I was told since they didn’t clear when booking, the next window would be 2-days before the flight. If not cleared by then, we’d be waiting until check-in or even at the gate.

jiriteach
    Participant

Yup – Update on this was that I did get an upgrade to Premium Economy even though I had applied for Business which is fine 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.