Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) Tripit and other Travel Applications

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Craig Whitmore
    Participant

I am wondering what other people use for organizing their trips.

I guess the one that is the most popular is TripIt but I have used App in the Air as well

Lissie
    Participant

For my actual itinerary I use TripIT – it just works – and when it misses the odd thing (youth hostel booking in Sydney, train ride to Auckland) – its easy enough to add in.

For actual research and planning I use Evernote – and fall back to an old-school spreadsheet when I need to wrangle a big trip.

For budgeting, tracking costs on the road I swear by Trail Wallet – only available on iOS – written by a traveller – its the only app I’ve ever found that can handle multiple currencies easily.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I’m a big TripIt fan. Keep an eye out for a review I’ve written which I’ll post in the next day or two

Travel Talker
    Participant

I user both TripIt and App in the Air to track my flights and reminders/alerts. I find they are more responsive than the Air NZ notifications. I got notified of flight delays and cancellations prior

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

I’ve been using kayak for years now. I bought the pro version for $6 as a one off in-app purchase years ago but they discontinued that earlier this year. I still have the pro features so I guess they’ve just incorporated the pro features to the basic app.

I’ve added tripit recently just to compare for a few months or a year. I have to admit the annual fee for the tripitpro features really grinds on me. I’m only using the basic version so far but I really don’t see myself upgrading at all.

Both apps are pretty similar in that you need to edit trips sometimes when adding bookings because it makes up a new trip instead of slotting it into the correct trip. Both will keep an itinerary etc which was really the basic function I wanted.

Tripit didn’t seem to like a couple of my Accor bookings which I had to send through again for it to pick up. It has my Air NZ parking confirmations under ‘unfiled’ and trying to save it to a trip prompts me to type it in manually 🙁 . Both kayak and tripit are easier to edit, merge trips etc on the website. The app seems a bit more limited.

Kayak has always picked up bookings I’ve sent them and it slotted the parking straight into the trips. Even random emails from small operators the info still gets in there somehow 99% of the time.

Kayak gives you flight notifications including baggage carousel number and also has a flight tracker as well with visual map. Not as detailed as flightradar but still damn good and the little plane actually moves:) You don’t need wifi for this. Kayak has the terminal maps although it really is just an overview, easy access to the airline websites and I quite like the explore feature. I can click on the icons within kayak to go straight to the email referenced for booking without having to sort through these in my own emails. Infrequently I need to look back at these. You can still share your trips with people easily enough. Kayak gives you a location map sometimes, quick access getting directions in google or apple maps and the ‘show your driver’ address flashcard which is really useful in foreign countries when you can’t pronounce or spell things. Best of all I feel like I have all the pro features with kayak and it’s free 🙂

I used Wallet for the JQ flights to keep a record if I lost the boarding pass then just delete after the flights credit.

Realistically I’ll mainly just use these apps to remind me who I booked with then go to the appropriate airline / hotel app. I’ll admit I’ve gone back to using a diary for the year planner at the front and just days where theres a long to do list. The phone calendars are good but I’ve lost info or it gets moved around changing time zones and times became inaccurate so I gave up although I have recently discovered there is a way of changing that.

I changed phones earlier in the year so haven’t sorted the trip expenses apps on apple yet but some of those are useful if travelling with mates and keeping track. I like the ichangi app mainly for the longer internet connection time if you’re outside the lounges, xe currency app is useful.

As a side note we were in Singapore and downloaded an app called Goru. You could get data for good rates without changing SIM cards. My partner using android got his working but I had issues. There was a chat function to help problem solve and the guy was great but we were always going somewhere so I cut the chat short a couple of times and never got it working. Love the idea though.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Just wondering what weather apps people were using for travel? I was looking Apple with sun up/down, accurate weather with say 3hrly or something predictions included rather than just one day with a hi/lo. And can hold multiple cities. Wind would be great too.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Just wondering what weather apps people were using for travel? I was looking Apple with sun up/down, accurate weather with say 3hrly or something predictions included rather than just one day with a hi/lo. And can hold multiple cities. Wind would be great too.

When at Home I use PocketWeather which is great, but it’s Australian only as it’s tied to the data the Bureau of Meteorology here publish, when when I am travelling I generally use AccuWeather. It has daily + hourly forecasts including temp and wind, holds multiple cities plus your current location. Had sun up/down but that is a little buried. I have the paid version (a few bucks), the free version has less data and ads.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I don’t see pocket weather in the Apple App Store but I tend to google the BOM website. Their info is incredible for Australia.

Just downloaded Accuweather thanks. I like that world satellite view. I’ll play with it first then decide about paying although ads get annoying.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I think Pocket Weather is only on Android. Same company (Based in AU) who make the very popular Pocket Casts podcasts app (That IS available on iPhone). The radars and warnings the BOM publish are useful, which is why I use it over AccuWeather all the time, but the BOM do have a very nice mobile website at m.bom.gov.au that for some reason doesn’t load by default from a mobile device but is WAY better than their main/desktop site.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

Didn’t realize the BOM mobile website existed. Cheers 🙂

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Didn’t realize the BOM mobile website existed. Cheers 🙂

Very few people do, because unless you know to hit that specific m. URL, you never see it. I only know about it because the digital agency that did that mobile site also did some design work for the company I work for and they used it as an example.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.