Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kiwimac
    Participant

Saw this in the Herald.

I’d have to agree. No under 18’s would be a start.

I used the Strata lounge at AKL last week and it was very, very pleasant, with better food.

Less alcohol on offer which was good to see. As the article notes, there are often people in Koru lounges attempting to drink the bar dry, regardless of the time of day, because free alcohol and a nation with a drink problem are not a good mix….!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

At Auckland international I did notice some people being redirected to the Strata lounge trying to use their credit card lounge passes? Lounge wasn’t full but they were anticipating it was going to get busy. Interesting to see they’re being proactive in managing crowding. Have to admit I felt a bit sorry for them as I think typically people are excited to start their trip off in a lounge if they don’t visit them often. I was tempted to guest them in but that would look like I was undermining the agents so I didn’t.

I rarely bother with the cocktail menu but took a gander and it looks like there’s been a changeover. I chose some mint julep thing hoping for something close to a mojito but the recipe has bourbon 🤢. I think the mocktails are the same. Might try the pina colada one next time and if it’s any good find a white spirit to add.

(no the rubbish behind in the pic isn’t mine – understaffed that day I think)

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Overcrowding in Koru is a real issue at a lot of lounges now. I’ve been into Auckland International a few times where they have simply been no seats anywhere, so it’s good to see they’re at least doing something about it.

Despite the Wellington International lounge being bigger now they often roll out a sign on Friday afternoons that says no entry on credit card vouchers and no guests as the lounge is at capacity. I felt sorry for the lounge agent a couple of months ago who said I could go in but apologised for the fact I’d probably have nowhere to sit. Luckily for me a couple of people moved so I could sit down in the bench seat, but there were lots of people standing.

It’ll be really interesting to see what impact the VA split and VA pax losing lounge access for the VA flight to BNE has on this.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Oh and as for cocktails – the Highflyer is the best (kiwifruit + vodka).

I think it may have had a name change now though, last time I was there and ordered a round of them staff said it had a different name but I don’t recall what it was..nor do I understand why you’d change the name!

Mauricio Freitas
    Keymaster

I agree crowding is a problem. But the “journalist” who wrote that article deserves a calling… If one of the benefits is guests then the suggestion of a separate lounge for guests and for family member is just plain stupid.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

https://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zealand-revamps-auckland-wellington-christchurch-lounges?utm_source=hero

Might help a bit.

The Auckland regional lounge will be awesome having tarmac views, probably of the props.

I’ll miss the Welly furniture.

Keen to see what’s offered at Tauranga.

Kiwimac
    Participant

Heading to Japan next week, so hopefully the international lounge will not be too busy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.