Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) TravelTalk NZ Feedback and suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Paul Spain
    Keymaster

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to jump aboard and take a look at TravelTalk. If you’ve not already signed up I suggest doing so to gain access to email updates, news, giveaways and ability to post here in the forums.

I am really keen to hear feedback on what you like – and what you would love to see here on TravelTalk. Being a unique community focused on New Zealand based travellers there is an opportunity to collate and share some pretty specific and unique local content.

Needless to say, we’re just getting started so expect to see a lot more around here as we get established.

Travel Talker
    Participant

I’ve asked Steve for an introductions thread/meet up forum

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I’ve asked Steve for an introductions thread/meet up forum

It’s a good idea – we’ll get onto that 🙂

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

Oops maybe I should have posted here. It looks like the shorthaul RU and unpublished (but still a benefit) xmas gift is missing from the Airpoints Elite write up.

What sort of giveaways are we talking about? 🙂

Will there be a comments section below reviews?

Will you cover award flying? eg AA, Avianca where you purchase the miles to fly?

Will other carriers also have their own sections given they fly into NZ eg SQ, EK, QR, AA, CX or will you wait to see how many threads develop and then split them off at a later date?

Will there be anything on promo’s from airlines flying into NZ? eg QR was offering gold if you flew EU with them with one J trip (normally 2) and also had a ‘kids fly free’ with one / parent or are you leaving that to other blogs? Would have given someone OW status in one flight.

Will you cover credit card deals? I got my partner to sign up for AMEX when they were offering 800 APD and a free flight – then we ditched it. Mind you there isn’t a lot on offer in NZ compared to other countries but still good to know or work the angle if its beneficial. The annual fee was $395 so the sign up was a no brainer and I had long haul flights to book.

I think highlighting the intricacies of the different programs would be beneficial to travellers eg NZ regional gotta go fares, VA’s cancellation policy puts me off booking with them if flying from a separate PNR, the ability to put flights into travel credit with Qantas is a bonus.

Will there be non airline travel topics?

A useful section on various ways to get to the airport eg shuttles, bus, ferry and what people use I think would be great. Queenstown I’ve always hired cars or taken a taxi but have noticed the bus route seems reasonable also. I hear Skybus in Auckland is on tender hooks. It really stinks since they added in the change of bus in Queen St. But travel options to and from the various airports is also useful.

Will you cover hotel programs?

Just a few ideas as seen on other forums. Travel is such a massive topic. NZ centric would be great but it’s hard not to branch out to other airlines.

Maybe a bit odd ball but sometimes I have thought to myself – no one fly day is like the other despite doing the same routes etc. Would be cool to know how people’s flights were or they could post pictures if there was something different? Not reviews as such but just little tid bits of info. Or would that make it too social? I don’t know if you want to stick with more factual info.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

If you’re doing flight reviews and you get a wine list can you include these please? Had Billecart Salmon with NZ recently which was an awesome surprise as I don’t like the Heidseck but I also don’t fly NZ BP that much but am still interested to know what else they’re swapping around. I can’t remember how often they’re changing them. As much as I love my NZ wines, with night flights I quite often want to just head to sleep and wake up and be there so don’t actually get to sample all the wines I want so am left wondering.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback.

We’ve got lots of plans on what we want to do, and obviously it’s early days. If you looked at the ideas we’ve been looking at much of what you’ve said is on there so we’re obviously on the right track!

As for transport to/from the airport we’ve included this on the airport pages and are in the process of adding quite a few more domestic Airports and thinking it would be good to ultimately have details for every airport (incl the international ones) that Air NZ fly to.

As for wine lists I haven’t seen these on NZ flights for a while now so it’s hard to really include these but I’ve got a few NZ BP flights coming up and will try and keep a note of what they’re serving. I’m a great fan of Billecart so will be very happy if they’re serving that now!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

The ability to upload and share pictures would be cool. That insert/edit image icon doesn’t look like it would allow me to upload pics from my computer.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Can we have an area for credit cards please or would you prefer to keep that under the off topic area under its own thread?

drajk
    Participant

In the area where it says latest discussions it would be good it was not the topic starter name but the name of the last poster as personally I find that helpful in letting me know whether I have read the latest post.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Can we have an area for credit cards please or would you prefer to keep that under the off topic area under its own thread?

We decided to keep the forums list relatively small at launch until we started to get a sense of what category breakdown we need and some posts built up. I’ll look into creating a category for this, but for right now just use off topic. If/when we do create a dedicated category, I will move any relevant threads into the new place.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

In the area where it says latest discussions it would be good it was not the topic starter name but the name of the last poster as personally I find that helpful in letting me know whether I have read the latest post.

This bothers me too, but I haven’t worked out a way to do that yet with our forum software – but I will do some more research now I know it’s not just me!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Any chance of being able to have comments posted as follow on from an article without having to make up a new thread?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

What are the products and services you are planning on charging fees for?

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

What are the products and services you are planning on charging fees for?

What do you mean by this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.