Home Community General Travel Travel Tips Best way to pay for TFL (Transport for London) travel

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Mike.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Hi,

Its been about 15 years since I last travelled the Tube and bus network in London.  Soon my family (2 adults, and 3 kids – 10, 12, 14) will be travelling to London and spending 7 days in London.

What is the best type of pass to use for travel on buses and the Tube now?

Looks like you can use contactless credit cards, which sounds like a great solution, but I imagine there will be conversion fees for a NZ CC?

Would it be best getting 4 Visitor Oyster Cards on arrival and just crediting these as required?   Looks like my youngest can travel the TFL network for free.   Do they need some ID for this?

I am thinking of taking the Heathrow Express into Paddington on arrival (cost of 2 adults, and in this case all 3 kids are free), and then using Buses and Tube as required for following days.

Hints and Tips welcome

Thanks

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Just using your contactless credit card or phone is the easiest approach – but obviously if you have multiple people they’re all going to need their own card to use this approach. Usual ~2.5% conversion rates are going to apply for credit card charges, but this is the same as what you’d pay if you purchased an Oyster card with a credit card.

I’d seen advertising the kids Oyster cards when I’d been there in the past and assumed they actually needed one of these special cards to travel free but reading up on this it seems this isn’t required for free travel, presumably you can just show something such as their passport to staff at the barriers to get out.

Just be aware if you are with ANZ that contactless overseas can be problematic. It doesn’t work at all in the US – and while I used it when I was last in London which was two years ago now, it did stop working after a day and I had to switch to another card.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Just using your contactless credit card or phone is the easiest approach – but obviously if you have multiple people they’re all going to need their own card to use this approach. Usual ~2.5% conversion rates are going to apply for credit card charges, but this is the same as what you’d pay if you purchased an Oyster card with a credit card.

I’d seen advertising the kids Oyster cards when I’d been there in the past and assumed they actually needed one of these special cards to travel free but reading up on this it seems this isn’t required for free travel, presumably you can just show something such as their passport to staff at the barriers to get out.

Just be aware if you are with ANZ that contactless overseas can be problematic. It doesn’t work at all in the US – and while I used it when I was last in London which was two years ago now, it did stop working after a day and I had to switch to another card.

Mike
    Participant

Thanks Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.