Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) USA/North America Sim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tomgeeknz
    Participant

I’m off to North america for work in 6 weeks, will be there for 6 1/2 months, working on a cruise ship, travelling mostly from NY to Canada/Florida and the Caribbean. Looking for a sim card possibly for data in port around the US and Canada – not huge amounts of data, and they seem to throttle rather than cut off when you run out.  Anyone seen any good options, that are simple to obtain, with no fixed abode…..

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

What phone do you have?

I could be wrong, but I believe it’s possible to get a phone ‘plan’ in the US even if you aren’t a resident, which will probably work out a lot more cost effective for that time frame as I’ve never found their prepaid plans (on any carrier) to be very cost good value – tho it has been a few years since I’ve used one (Vodafone $5 roaming FTW). I don’t think you’ll need a fixed address (or you can probably just make one up)

My personal experience too has been that the AT&T network performs better for data, and had better overlaps with the cell bands used by phones from outside North America. I think T-Mobile has gotten better since they’ve rolled out LTE, but I still think AT&T is considered the better option for performance and compatibility.

tomgeeknz
    Participant

Sweet, that seems to be where I got too as well.

I have an unlocked NZ iPhone 7.

tomgeeknz
    Participant

Anyone know the best place to get an AT&T sim in NZ, or either LAX or IAH?

Tom

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Anyone know the best place to get an AT&T sim in NZ, or either LAX or IAH? Tom

Found this post re LAX AT&T https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1757108-prepaid-sim-card-lax.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.