Home Community General Travel Travel Tips Travelling with a water bottle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nate
    Participant

I’ve never travelled with a water bottle as am too nervous it’ll get tossed when going through security (especially if I’ve got to the expense of buying a nice bottle).

Anyone know what the general rules are around taking a water bottle on domestic/international flights?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve brought my own water bottle on board but from what I’ve read the advice anywhere is to keep the water bottle, fill it up AFTER security cleared at water fountain or in the lounge etc.

Haven’t been screened for turboprop flights so that’s ok to bring water bottle on. Have got on with hot choc with lid from lounge as have others. Not sure about the A320 domestic but you could still follow the above advice.

Alternatively just use a cheap pump water bottle on your domestic routes elsewhere and see what happens. No loss if tossed. Definitely wouldn’t try on international though. It’s fine to carry an empty bottle through.

nate
    Participant

I was thinking going down the route of a cheap Pump bottle.  I wonder if there’s a size limitation on it?

Mauricio Freitas
    Keymaster

Not clear if you want to buy a nice bottle or just bring water on board. If the first, and it’s empty then there’s no problem, if the second, you can buy water anywhere on air side of the terminal and bring on board of the plane. It must be empty when taking away from the plane though as it gets into the “don’t bring food or drinks” rule for biosecurity.

nate
    Participant

Just want to take water on board.

So if I take an empty Pump bottle through security, then fill it with water in Koru, I should be fine? I assume it also has to be empty as I go through immigration at my destination (typically the USA)?

Mauricio Freitas
    Keymaster

Yes, you will be fine.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Been through international security (including in the US) with an empty water bottle countless times. As long as it’s empty they care not. And there are usually plenty of water fountains to fill up water bottles airside in most airports (for those who don’t have lounge access).

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

LAG rules don’t apply on domestic flights, only international.

I quite regularly take an empty water bottle through screening with me and fill it before the flight and there are no issues doing this. In the US I’ve seen water bottle filling stations scattered throughout the gates at quite a few airports.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.