Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve been trying to find some info on this,  but struggling.

i am departing chch on an international flight to Aussie

ive been told I can online check in now. I’ve done this before domestically with only hand luggage but never international with checked bags

the issue is I have no clue what I need to do with my bags if I check in online. How do I get the luggage tags etc.

if you could provide some information it would be appreciated. Cheers

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

If you check in online you need to visit the kiosk to have your passport validated and print your bag tags.

There are basically no benefits to online check-in unless you want to select a seat and are not a HVC who had free seat select.

Even if you don’t have bags you still need to get your passport validated, so if you check in online with no bags and don’t visit the kiosk to get this done you will either get called to the Koru lounge counter so they can take your passport away and validate it, or you’ll be taken aside at the gate so they can do this before you can fly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, I won’t bother checking in online.

Much appreciated.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

It is also useful if you’re running late to the airport though. Usually been the first question I’ve been asked so as soon as I know I’m cutting it fine I check-in via the app. It seems to provide some advantage. Traffic is the main issue where you think you’ve left in time but traffic is worse than usual.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I’ve never really seen the point when there are automated check in kiosks available, as these generally only take a minute or two, even if there is a bit of a queue. I basically never check a bag, so that’s never a consideration for me, but if you do, you’re essentially checking in at the airport anyway.

One advantage I have found, especially flying on an airline with no status, is that you can often get a better seat than you otherwise would have been entitled to if you pre-selected or checked in online as airlines often block out certain seats for frequent flyers or for operational reasons that then become available to everyone a couple of hours before the flight as the airline releases them.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

They are useful where lines exist for online check-in as they can be shorter than usual lines. Even in Rarotonga I noticed the premium lines were the slowest moving for both NZ and VA and the OLCI lines moved faster. China Airlines has OLCI as do some others so if you hate standing in queues it can be worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.