Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

So playing around with the Air NZ website I noticed that flights NZ to QLD in particular Bundaberg and Gladstone, that the domestic Oz legs are now operated by Qantas despite Alliance (VA’s partner on these routes) fly to these destinations. Rockhampton it’s Air NZ, then Alliance although the Air NZ site says VA. VA’s site says its Alliance and the only thing that gives it away on the NZ website is the Fokker 100 (such an unfortunate name). I don’t think VA fly them in QLD.

So that begs the question – what benefits do you get? So with Qantas you apparently get zilch. I guess this is similar to flying to the UK then on with BA but all on an NZ ticket. But I just find this weird because Alliance fly under VA code to the same destinations that Air NZ is pairing with Qantas. And then NZ will fly on with Alliance to Rockhampton. With a VA flight # 7000 NZ benefits apply.

Asked if I could switch out my NZ number for my QF number for the QF sector I was told no. I’m wondering if faced with that situation do I just book the flights without the frequent flyer number and show the card at the door but decline to have a boarding pass re-printed with the frequent flyer number and request credit retrospectively, and do something similar for the QF leg? Would that get me around the issue? Is that possible? And sometimes I carry too much luggage. I don’t want to get hammered with an excess fee by Qantas on the domestic leg just because of their computer system.

I used to switch my FF # with VA to NZ etc and vice versa but this looks like it may be more challenging. May need to use a similar approach of leaving the FF field blank and claiming after the flight. Of course it is a hassle chasing points etc. It isn’t something I enjoy at all.

I realise there is the FT thread on FQTV/S but I have never split the fields. I have swapped the numbers out entirely.

In general I’m hoping omitting the FF# will mean I can still credit to various FFPs on the day. Probably more an issue for me with NZ TT and VA domestic as I used to credit NZ to NZ and VA to VA.

Reckon omission will work?

Paul Spain
    Keymaster

I think you’re on the right track. I’d actually love to hear how you get on, but I think that should work.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

It’s easy enough for Air NZ to load up a separate loyalty identifier in FQTV and FQTS (Just ring them and ask), but it will be the same for the whole PNR, so if you have multiple carriers on the one booking and you want to book points in multiple places that wouldn’t work.

Probably best to leave it blank, and where you’re entitled to FF benefits, just flash your card where needed. Just don’t forget to save all your boarding passes to claim! (I am in the habit of just throwing them out, and once or twice have binned boarding passes I needed to keep to claim points – oops).

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I think you’re on the right track. I’d actually love to hear how you get on, but I think that should work.

No current funky bookings but will update when I do. Will need to ask a few more questions prior to booking as I dislike surprises, especially when it comes to crediting flights or excess bag fees.

It’s easy enough for Air NZ to load up a separate loyalty identifier in FQTV and FQTS (Just ring them and ask), but it will be the same for the whole PNR, so if you have multiple carriers on the one booking and you want to book points in multiple places that wouldn’t work. Probably best to leave it blank, and where you’re entitled to FF benefits, just flash your card where needed. Just don’t forget to save all your boarding passes to claim! (I am in the habit of just throwing them out, and once or twice have binned boarding passes I needed to keep to claim points – oops).

Yeah I had read about splitting but it sounded complicated and provided no benefit for me so never did it.  I found it a bit nerve racking getting your boarding pass back with the wrong FF # on it so took photos of the agent screen a couple of times. If I had to do a retro claim I needed proof the correct number was in the booking as FQTV can hold 2 numbers but only one printed (can have some positive spin offs). Actually had a boarding pass with just 2 letters once….accompanied by shrugs from the agents.

Anyway I’ll save the boarding passes to apple wallet and take pics of their computer screens when I feel the risk is high. Typically with VA!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.