Home Community Airlines / Frequent Flyer Programmes / Lounges Air New Zealand (NZ) / Airpoints / Koru Club Most effective way to get 25 Air NZ status points?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kiwimac
    Participant

I need just 25 points to get to Silver, which is the closest I have ever been to anything but the bottom tier!

What is the most cost effective way to get that without leaving NZ?

Paul Spain
    Keymaster

A credit card that earns Air NZ status points could be an option. Otherwise there are a bunch of domestic routes where a flight can earn you minimum of 8 status points.

You can check exact status points during the online booking process – or view an overview here:

https://www.airnzpoints.co.nz/

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I had a look at my statement and earned 25 SP for Auckland Queenstown return which was $376 but am sure you can obtain 25 SP for ~$100 less than that price.

You could probably fly Auckland to Wellington, Christchurch or Queenstown on some cheap fares and do 2 return flights to get 32 SP but you may need to stay overnight. If you just want to fly one trip then select slightly more expensive fares until you hit the 25 SP target shown while selecting your flights.

The Kiwibank Airpoints platinum credit card earns 1 SP per $200 spent which x25 = $5000 spend. Good if you had the whole year to add SP without doing anything extra.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

How much time do you have to get there? A few ‘status run’ sale flights might get you there quite cheaply, but depends how flexible you can be with travel, and how long you have until renewal

Kiwimac
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I managed it with flights to Auckland earlier this week!</p>
    I bought Flexitime fares and got just enough to take me over the line.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Well done 🙂 Now …. what route are you going to use that upgrade on?

Kiwimac
    Participant

Not sure.

I may have to attend a trade show in Morocco in September, and if I do I will be heading to the UK and Europe as well.

Downside is the cost of Air NZ – I can do Business return to London on Qatar for about $5500 which is cheaper than PE return on Air NZ…

May also visit my brother in America so could be useful then also.

Silver isn’t a massive thing, but it’s the first time ever I have managed to get up from base tier an airline program so it’s fun to have done that. Just another 450 or so needed to get Gold….!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I’d fly QR to UK/EU for that price and that comfort. They are flying their A380 out of MEL SYD with PER starting up soon. You could get the onboard bar which looks pretty spectacular flying J. 777 out of AKL is an older layout but I really like it. Still comfortable with lots of space. No wifi.

I’d be weary of crediting your flight to QR FFP if you don’t see yourself flying them much in the future as they expire in 3yrs regardless of activity unless you reach platinum. You can transfer them through to Accor, or credit to AA (which you can buy points to keep them alive until you use them and great to use to fly J TT on QFs A330), or QF (easy to keep points alive by swiping a qantas cash card every 2 yrs until you accrue enough for redemption), or BA (buy points to keep alive) or just credit rental cars to AA BA or another one world programme to keep points alive so no rush to use them.

US is a tough destination to clear the NZ upgrade but no harm in trying. I’d try using it early. If it gets knocked back then you have other chances to use it. You have to apply it to a fare to use within 12 months, meaning if you were in your 12th month, you could still apply it to a booking in the following year as the booking engine has dates for another 12ish months. I can’t recall the exact number of days. Worst case scenario use it to upgrade from Y to J short haul which includes as far as Adelaide and Tahiti.

Yes agree, it’s still fun to move through the tiers in a programme. Hope your RU is successful wherever you apply.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.