Home Community General Travel Back of the bus Economy long haul – making it comfy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

I was trying to think what my ideal economy trip would look like.

For Air NZ:

If I were travelling with someone else like my partner I’d book the window and him in the aisle. Ideally in a sky couch row. I’d arrive early at the airport to enquire about twin seats and pay the $99 to secure the seat. I’d probably ask if the flight was full and the chances of keeping it free but to be honest, $50ea for say AKL – LAX is worth the money for that length of flight.

I’d still eat in the lounge, then maybe take my own food on board. Maybe a subway sandwich. No hot meals as they’d probably stink out the cabin. Maybe a salad put together from the supermarket. Some sort of slice for dessert. Snacks maybe those cheese and cracker packets, fruit rolls or a banana. Definitely an empty water bottle to fill up airside pre flight. You’d have to remember to bin any leftovers prior to entering the US.

Although I wouldn’t have all the sky couch amenities I’d still be able to make it into a couch. Found a good pillow as well while browsing the net – http://www.businessinsider.com/best-travel-pillow//?r=AU&IR=T/#the-best-rectangular-compressible-travel-pillow-6 Some airline pillows are tiny. The Therm-a-rest compressible pillow. I’m sure you could grab a blanket from the crew and take a warm jacket to put over you and voila! Your bed in the sky for cheap 🙂 Should sleep like a baby. We’d probably take turns at sleeping with the other sitting up by the aisle but it would be comfy even if you were sitting up with your back to the window and legs stretched out a bit or lying down with knees curled up.

Devices all charged, maybe 1 or 2 of my own tv programs or movies. BYO amenities kit with ear plugs, eye mask, lip balm, moisturiser, toothbrush & paste and even socks. Wifi would be the icing on the cake.

I’m not sure I’d purchase the twin seat if I was travelling on my own unless I was sitting down the back in the rows of 2 seats. Might be a bit awkward if your aisle seat mate started using the space you’d paid for.

I’ll have to try this out one day and see if it works. Of course the sticking point is the flight being full and NZ placing someone in the middle seat but I’d aim to arrive ridiculously early just to secure that middle seat.

Did I miss anything? (Maybe a glass of wine on board :), but I’ll pass on the sleeping tablets for now).

I know Qantas allows you to buy another seat at full price but without the taxes. You also earn status credits and points for that though.

Not sure how many/which other airlines allow you to buy an extra seat.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

but I’ll pass on the sleeping tablets for now

Sleeping tablet for me. Solved.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

What’s economy class? 🙂

floydbloke
    Participant

Yep.  Zopiclone, glass of wine (just one), eye mask, earplugs and noise-cancelling headphones for me.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

If you’re that easily zonked out maybe you can do the first review of the proposed cargo class 😛

What’s economy class? 🙂

That class when you’re upgrades don’t come through.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Hmmm, it’s clear I’ve never booked long haul economy with Air NZ before. The sky couch row is blocked out. I think my only other options are bidding for sky couch, asking at the airport if any rows are available and at what price, and buying the twin seat.

I see a few other carriers have Air NZs sky couch. Would be a matter of looking at the airlines website to see if there’s any cool ways to get your butt on them. I’ve decided maybe we’ll try this on a medium haul route like PER-AKL or AKL-HNL whichever direction the red eye is (after hifly have gone).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.