Home Community General Travel Hotels & Accomodation Easy Accor Gold status

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

http://www.ibis.com/gb/business/ibis-business-card.shtml

If you can get work to pay it’s 75 Euro but if self funded then 90 Euro.

Accor Gold status benefits http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/leclub/program/cards-status-benefits.shtml

You can then try and use your Accor status to status match to another hotel loyalty programme when offers are on. This means you don’t need to actually “chase” status with Accor. View it like a Koru Club membership. Pay the first year, get all the benefits and when you actually reach Gold then you no longer need to pay. Or you can keep paying if you think it’s worth it but don’t reach the gold requirements.

Anyway, truth be told – Accor aren’t that great at status recognition. Especially when it comes to the room upgrades part! But they are where I travel.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

I’ve never been a big Accor fan. All of the properties I’ve stayed at in Australia and NZ have been average at best. My stays in the Mercure in Auckland the Ibis Styles Auckland a few years ago rank as two of my worst hotel stays ever.

In Europe the ones I’ve stayed at (particularly Novotel’s) have been a good solid midrange offering.

I’m personally a Hilton fan and have spent probably 25 nights with them in the past 12 months which has included some amazing upgrades.

There hasn’t been a lot of status matching going on in the hotel space recently, everybody seems to be moving to status challenges which require stays to keep the status.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Accor do have some nice properties eg Sofitel Queenstown. I’m still exploring a few of the properties around NZ and Australia. I agree with your thoughts about Mercure Auckland and generally I’m not excited about Mercure in particular in Australia and NZ but we stayed in a really nice one in Paris years ago so I’ll keep other countries open as an option. If the price is right and you just need a place to lay your head then I would probably still book Mercure in Auckland (I think it’s the reason I booked it in the first place). No parking though which is crappola. The main draw card for me is that Accor seem to be where I travel and they have 99% of the time been decent and not cringe worthy properties. When booking non-chain motels/hotels, well – sometimes they just aren’t like the pictures and you feel like you paid for a right lemon.

As a loyalty programme they aren’t the best at status recognition but sometimes things like early or late check in really come in handy, or it’s nice to be offered a free breakfast (despite being unable to take them up on the offer), or welcome drinks (even if you go for the orange juice or coke because the house wine is awful). The higher your tier the more the bonus points which one day count towards a discounted/free night. Or you can convert them to airline miles/points so you still get some use out of the programme even if you’re not looking hard for it. It would be great to receive upgraded rooms but an upgrade can be anything from a higher floor to a nicer view – which essentially pops your status bubble! Some programmes ACTUALLY give you better rooms eg suites which is awesome. Accor you’ll have to fight for a better room.

However they are probably the most prevalent hotel chain in NZ and it wouldn’t surprise me if that is also the case in Australia so – might as well join and play the game.

Hilton Honors is really good at status recognition. But Hilton in Auckland, Queenstown, Melbourne and Sydney are expensive! They don’t fit into a work budget at all! I agree they’re one of the really good ones for status recognition but some Hiltons overseas feel more like a Holiday Inn. HH is one of the programmes I status matched to last year and I was waiting for the status drop this year but it never came 🙂 If I can fit HH into a work or personal budget then that’s also great as I love a free breakfast. But more often than not it doesn’t work so I don’t really do a lot of stays with Hilton. Accruing stays depends on budget and where you travel.

drajk
    Participant

I’ve actually found Accor quite good at status recognition. I had a free upgrade to one of their balcony suites at Novotel Christchurch last year and just yesterday was called by Sofitel Melbourne to greet me and find out what time I will be arriving tomorrow. When I’ve had any issues with Accor properties in the last few years they have generally been addressed well. I actually value my Accor  status fairly highly and am more impressed with them than with IHG with whom I used to have significant status.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I’ve never been a big Accor fan. All of the properties I’ve stayed at in Australia and NZ have been average at best. My stays in the Mercure in Auckland the Ibis Styles Auckland a few years ago rank as two of my worst hotel stays ever. In Europe the ones I’ve stayed at (particularly Novotel’s) have been a good solid midrange offering. I’m personally a Hilton fan and have spent probably 25 nights with them in the past 12 months which has included some amazing upgrades. There hasn’t been a lot of status matching going on in the hotel space recently, everybody seems to be moving to status challenges which require stays to keep the status.

The airport Novotel and Ibis are pretty good, IMO

drajk
    Participant

I’ve actually found Accor quite good at status recognition. I had a free upgrade to one of their balcony suites at Novotel Christchurch last year and just yesterday was called by Sofitel Melbourne to greet me and find out what time I will be arriving tomorrow. When I’ve had any issues with Accor properties in the last few years they have generally been addressed well. I actually value my Accor status fairly highly and am more impressed with them than with IHG with whom I used to have significant status.

Just checked in to Sofitel Melbourne – gave me a Gold Status upgrade to a 49th floor Luxury King Corner room for all nights including my complimentary night, early checkin, late checkout, a free drink for myself and my wife, some welcome chocolates – not bad for status recognition.

Travel Talker
    Participant

The airport Novotel and Ibis are pretty good, IMO

Do Novotel airport have better rooms for Gold/Plat status?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Those do sound good (oops that was in reply to drajk’s Sofitel Mel status recognition).

I stayed at the Novotel Christchurch some time ago before status and got the heebie jeebies being on a high floor and feeling like the ground was moving so I’ve never been back! The room was nice though, thought lobby was small so I now head elsewhere in Christchurch.

Sofitel Sentosa gave us the welcome drinks, late check out, and zilch in the way of room upgrades. Booooooooo!

Novotel airport has given higher floor rooms. All still looks the same in terms of the actual rooms as other floors. Been offered breakfast but realistically I had to scoot before breakfast even started. Also made a decision really late to stay out by the airport and anyway got to the room and had a card addressed to someone else in the room – haha! It is nice getting a card or a hello from the manager. Also received the welcome drink. Never needed to use late checkout.

I haven’t stayed at the Ibis yet. I was thinking that Mercure down Auckland CBD should really rebrand as an Ibis as it’s around that level.

No matter how you look at it though Accor are very prevalent throughout NZ. Stayed at Mercure in Dunedin. I don’t remember any other chain hotels down there. It’s a bit dated but it was ok. Early/late checkouts are valuable to me. The drinks tend to be house wine and beer etc so if I use it then usually go OJ or a soft drink.

Still have some other stays I’m looking forward to like Sofitel Auckland although it’s during the rugby so chances of getting an upgrade I think are slim.

Kiwimac
    Participant

I have Gold. I get some nice upgrades, most recently in the Novotel Queenstown – to the finest room in the hotel, no less! A massive suite apartment with lake views, a kitchen and big marble bathroom, living room, huge bed, 2 TVs etc etc.

Ibis in Wellington is a great budget (in so far as hotel prices in Wellington these days are ever ‘budget’!) option and the Novotel is nice (and offers free parking if you have a hybrid car). Stayed in the Grand Mercure in Wellington about 8 months ago and that was very shabby, very hard to get to, had no parking and was one of the few times I felt I needed to actually comment to Customer Service that the place was a mess.

I’ve stayed in Accor in NZ, Australia, France, UK, USA, Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, India and Indonesia and usually find them very good. Where they have Club Floors, I always book them as my bete noir in hotels is children and they are usually mercifully absent from Club floors due to the extra cost!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I have Gold. I get some nice upgrades, most recently in the Novotel Queenstown – to the finest room in the hotel, no less! A massive suite apartment with lake views, a kitchen and big marble bathroom, living room, huge bed, 2 TVs etc etc.

I’ve stayed in Accor in NZ, Australia, France, UK, USA, Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, India and Indonesia and usually find them very good. Where they have Club Floors, I always book them as my bete noir in hotels is children and they are usually mercifully absent from Club floors due to the extra cost!

Very nice! Hope you had time to appreciate it. Most of the time when I do get any upgrades I’m arriving late and leaving early 🙁 I’d like to try out Novotel Queenstown – has a great location.

As a side question – given you’ve been to various countries, do you notice any regional differences in the quality of the Accor properties? I’ve used a few Accor properties previously but only really starting taking notice of loyalty programmes in 2016.

nzregs
    Participant

I have “Silver” status, was gold but dropped last anniversary.

I also have the Accor Plus card – well worth the ~$300/yr.  It gives you a free night somewhere (anywhere) that can pretty much pay for the card.  It also gives you discounts on dining and even booze in some countries.

Family trip to Queenstown:  stayed in Novotel.  2 adults, 2 kids.  Kids eat free at many of these properties.  Used Plus card for Dinners and Breakfasts.  Breakfasts costs ~$30 for 2 adults and 2 kids.  Pretty good value!

I also often use the card for ‘express lunch’ over the road at the Sofitel.  $30 express lunch becomes $30 express lunch for two with the Accor Plus card.

Kiwimac
    Participant
    I have Gold. I get some nice upgrades, most recently in the Novotel Queenstown – to the finest room in the hotel, no less! A massive suite apartment with lake views, a kitchen and big marble bathroom, living room, huge bed, 2 TVs etc etc. I’ve stayed in Accor in NZ, Australia, France, UK, USA, Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, India and Indonesia and usually find them very good. Where they have Club Floors, I always book them as my bete noir in hotels is children and they are usually mercifully absent from Club floors due to the extra cost!

Very nice! Hope you had time to appreciate it. Most of the time when I do get any upgrades I’m arriving late and leaving early 🙁 I’d like to try out Novotel Queenstown – has a great location. As a side question – given you’ve been to various countries, do you notice any regional differences in the quality of the Accor properties? I’ve used a few Accor properties previously but only really starting taking notice of loyalty programmes in 2016.

Yes. The Asian properties are much better usually in terms of service delivery when compared to most. The staff seem to take pleasure in looking after you and exceeding your expectations, something I do not usually feel when I stay here, at least not to the same overt degree.

The Sofitel Beverley Hills was also very nice. I have 3 nights in Sofitel So in Singapore booked in April, 2 in Sofitel Mumbai and 2 in Sofitel Ho Chi Minh. Sofitel HCM I have stayed in before and was very impressed with.

French properties are usually fine although I did stay in one in Paris that was very poor – a Novotel near the Gare d’Ouest.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I have “Silver” status, was gold but dropped last anniversary. I also have the Accor Plus card – well worth the ~$300/yr. It gives you a free night somewhere (anywhere) that can pretty much pay for the card. It also gives you discounts on dining and even booze in some countries. Family trip to Queenstown: stayed in Novotel. 2 adults, 2 kids. Kids eat free at many of these properties. Used Plus card for Dinners and Breakfasts. Breakfasts costs ~$30 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Pretty good value! I also often use the card for ‘express lunch’ over the road at the Sofitel. $30 express lunch becomes $30 express lunch for two with the Accor Plus card.

Unfortunately it’s increased to $385 although it looks like they had a promo end of 2016 with MasterCard where it was only $308. It is also part of the amex charge. Unfortunately at resort properties breakfast is excluded from the Accor plus dining discounts. You can still use your breakfast certificate though. The 10% member discount and red hot room deals are good too although I’m yet to make use of those.

I forgot to add – if you’re going to get the A+ and ibis card – get the A+ card FIRST! If you get the ibis card first it attaches to your Accor number and then you have to create another email and login for A+ which is a hassle. Then if your membership expires you need to chase them up to put your points etc into the Accor account. Not to mention not being able to see your bookings on A+. Found this out the hard way and had to let both A+ and ibis cards expire. I do love that Accor’s cards are updated digitally very quickly prior to the card arriving.

nzregs
    Participant
    Unfortunately at resort properties breakfast is excluded from the Accor plus dining discounts. You can still use your breakfast certificate though.
    Is this a recent change?  Or only with some “resort” properties.  I had no problems getting free breakfasts from “Mercure Queenstown Resort Hotel” where there last August.
    I’m visiting a couple of Pullmans, and a couple of Sofitels, while in Vietnam and Cambodia… will see how it goes over there 🙂
    Kiwiwings
    Participant
    Unfortunately at resort properties breakfast is excluded from the Accor plus dining discounts. You can still use your breakfast certificate though.
    Is this a recent change? Or only with some “resort” properties. I had no problems getting free breakfasts from “Mercure Queenstown Resort Hotel” where there last August.
    I’m visiting a couple of Pullmans, and a couple of Sofitels, while in Vietnam and Cambodia… will see how it goes over there 🙂

We were in Australia in October when we were told it was a new rule. Just had a look at the T&Cs and it actually says its resorts in Australia.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.