Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) Duty Free Apple Products

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    FineWine
    Participant

Off to Bali on Monday. Is there shops at Auckland airport which sells duty free Apple iPads. I need to replace my venerable iPad2 with the latest 2018 iPad6, A10 cpu, 32Gb.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I had a quick look and it seems the two duty free retailers at Auckland (Aelia and The Loop) who have a presence don’t sell much Apple (or electronics generally), but you could order something for pickup from JR Duty Free who looks like they do pick up only (No actual store presence there).

https://www.jrdutyfree.co.nz/brand/APPLE/APPLE

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I don’t need one so I don’t look but have seen some things about. You could look on the way out of Auckland and if you find something then buy it on the way out or pick it up on the way back in. Have an idea of prices and what else is available prior though so you can make that decision on the spot. Also if buying on the way back in ask if the product is available. I’m sure I got caught out with something where inbound and outbound duty free stores carried slightly different products or stock.

FineWine
    Participant

………. but you could order something for pickup from JR Duty Free who looks like they do pick up only (No actual store presence there). https://www.jrdutyfree.co.nz/brand/APPLE/APPLE

Thank you very much Adam. Have ordered & paid for a iPad Gen6 A10/M10 WiFi  32Gb from JR NZ Duty Free for airport collection on Monday morning and have received all the paperwork for said collection.

Cor Blimey! 2Gb ram compared to my iPad2 512Mb. My app’s & eBooks wont know what has hit them 🙂

Anyway RRP $539, duty free $468

It has served me well for 7 years and will be retired to a local low decile school.

Cheers

drajk
    Participant

For many Apple products there’s no advantage since if they don’t fit within the tax free concession you end up paying the GST when you declare them anyway and as noted in the above example the difference in that case between RRP and ‘Duty Free’ price is really just the 15% GST. Obviously if they are within concession there may be the tax saving.

FineWine
    Participant

My purchase falls below the duty free threshold which is $700 but it is something to keep mind.

Lived in Aussie for 30 years and loved the Tourist Refund Scheme.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.