Home Community General Travel Travel Insurance and Foreign Exchange Claiming travel insurance – approach credit card or airline carrier?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

So I had to fly home urgently and the reason I had to fly home early should be / hopefully will be covered by the credit card insurance. I’m still waiting on some paperwork that appears to have gone AWOL via snail mail.

And of course my luggage didn’t show up and I had to travel ‘down the line’. My luggage arrived >24hrs later.

Not really sure if I approach the airline about the delayed luggage or the credit card? Anyone ever got the run around from the credit card insurance and told to try and make a claim from the airline instead?? I’m planning on just claiming under the credit card policy because I can’t be bothered making a claim to the airline as well. I just want to deal with one company.

Paul Spain
    Keymaster

I think you’re on the right track starting with your credit card company.

Do share how the process goes for you. I hope they make it fairly easy.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Not really sure if I approach the airline about the delayed luggage or the credit card?.

What benefit are you claiming for the delayed luggage? Your card policy likley has a defined benefit for buying things while your luggage is delayed, but you probably need receipts and might have to pay an excess.

The airlines seem to have pretty vague compensation policies around this, and will also need receipts. I’d go to your travel insurer first, but if they have an excess that makes it not worthwhile, then approach the airline.

Kiwiwings
    Participant
    Not really sure if I approach the airline about the delayed luggage or the credit card?.

What benefit are you claiming for the delayed luggage? Your card policy likley has a defined benefit for buying things while your luggage is delayed, but you probably need receipts and might have to pay an excess. The airlines seem to have pretty vague compensation policies around this, and will also need receipts. I’d go to your travel insurer first, but if they have an excess that makes it not worthwhile, then approach the airline.

Having to buy clothes – landed and drove straight down the line.

Turns out I used my regular personal credit card to purchase clothing so I’m a bit screwed there. Warehouse was the only thing open at the time so spent ~ $50. Have the receipt. Gets confusing when you’re coming back from work travel for personal reasons. I’m very automated when it comes to using the right credit card for work or personal or coupley type spending so I think wasn’t sure about using the work credit card. All the credit cards have travel policies but I was away for work so that is the primary travel insurance I will claim against. The correct paperwork has finally come through so I can get it off in the mail tomorrow and see what happens.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

So I had a think about it and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen other credit cards say you only need a certain portion of the trip booked on the card so decided to fill out the delayed luggage paperwork also. After all it really is the initial event that leads to the subsequent disruption and it shouldn’t matter which card I paid for it with. And I have nothing to lose – I’m already doing paperwork!

They asked for the bag tags also! I think that’s nuts! The tags irritate me for no good reason so I tend to rip those off when I arrive at accommodation or at home. Secondly I’d taken a number of flights after so it needed to come off anyway. But if you have the Westpac World Airpoints Mastercard then – apparently you should keep the bag tags too if you’re claiming delayed luggage. I’d kept the clothing receipts, documents from the airline re:delayed luggage and my baggage receipt so fingers crossed that should be enough. It’s not like they tell you in their policy what documentation you’ll need prior to seeing the claim forms. I’m thinking it’s worthwhile taking a look at the claim forms for insurance policies now to see exactly what they want. Otherwise not having the necessary bits might be reason for them to decline your claim and I think that’s getting into the ‘unreasonable territory’ if they don’t tell you that in the policy up front.

I had to write out the specifics from the clothing receipt which – when they use shop short hand is a little bit difficult to ascertain which were the pants vs the shirt etc. So maybe take a picture before you go pulling off all of those tags. And only buy the necessary things. I travel with toiletries etc in carry on so didn’t need to purchase these so I’m not claiming a huge amount for delayed luggage. Most of it is the change of tickets.

I also included a cover letter to clarify a few points in the claim rather than waiting for any confusion to arise and them trying to contact me which just delays the entire process. Also photocopied the relevant pages for safe keeping.

Anyway, I’m interested to see how this credit card performs when it comes to insurance. Hope it doesn’t take a month or something to come through.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

So luggage declined as under the $200 excess which is fair enough…. sort of. I suspect most people get their luggage back the day after. Mine was ~32hrs but how do you spend >$200 then of course it might be a hassle to claim for $220 to get $20 in return so…. may $250 is worth it? But it’s pretty difficult to spend $250 for 24hrs worth of clothing and toiletries. Statistically insurance has the upper hand on this one.

The main claim for ~ $1000 has been declined unless I can provide further documentation which I’ve only just submitted today. Of course I don’t expect to hear back until end of Jan or early Feb. I may still get the run around to change other paperwork but I’m still optimistic I’ll receive some reimbursement.

clokisk
    Participant

So luggage declined as under the $200 excess which is fair enough…. sort of. I suspect most people get their luggage back the day after.

clokisk
    Participant

Hello. How and where can we get travel insurance in London for the disabled? We recently encountered this situation and do not know anything, but we also do not want life to stop and wish to continue travelling, but how? By the way, does anyone know how to find out the London postcode? It is required everywhere.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Hi Clokisk.

I’m assuming disabled travellers use the same companies as other people. Just have to disclose detailed info on the disability. Sometimes that may result in increased fees or being declined for certain aspects of the policy but I’d start there.

https://www.consumer.org.nz/services/travel-insurance/guide

Kiwis have reciprocal medical cover with the UK. https://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealand-health-system/eligibility-publicly-funded-health-services/reciprocal-health-agreements

https://www.canstar.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Canstar-Travel-Insurance-NZ-2019-Singles.pdf Comparison travel insurances in NZ in table form. UK scroll towards the bottom. There are different options if you’re after travel insurance for one trip or multiple trips etc.

Hope that gives you a starting point?

Forgot to report back but my main claim for reimbursement was eventually successful from the credit card company. I had to be my own detective to some degree and things took a looong time to sort but a good outcome.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.