Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    GlobalTraveller
    Participant

Interesting no much here relating to Jetstar. I guess lots are mostly flying for business?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Work has never offered JQ and I’ve never asked.

I would still fly them for personal travel probably under certain circumstances. I know some friends that have flown them and some friends in Aussie generally travel JQ due to price. They do actually have some amazing deals on some times.

I wouldn’t discount them 100% but there’s generally other options I prefer.

nate
    Participant

We used to for work (FYI I’m one of two directors here).

BUT a couple years ago, business partner and I got stuck in Wellington for six hours, then the flight was cancelled. We stayed in a hotel, and flew out the next day, but it was pretty hard to get Jetstar to reimburse all our costs.  We ended up settling for half.

Since then, we’ve never flow them again.  Not worth the drama, and I’d prefer to pay a little more $$ to get to my destination when I need to be there.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

I’ve flown JQ countless times trans-tasman and within AU and have had only a couple of issues. The worst being a 3 hour delay at WLG flying to MEL.

I used to have Qantas Gold status which allowed me to use the Qantas lounges when flying JQ which was very appealing when you can get a return flight between AU and NZ for under $300 at times but still get lounge access at both ends.

I fly Virgin a bit now with work, and have had a higher proportion of delays with them than with JQ.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Ozbargain ( https://www.ozbargain.com.au/cat/travel ) is a great site for JQ sale fares. I’ve been on an NZ flight and heard the FA talking to people transferring to a JQ flight to go to Hawaii. They have some ridiculous fares regarding fly one way and return is free but I don’t know the ins and outs of that but it sounds great! Wouldn’t mind trying their Starclass one day although it’s more of a PE experience I hear. Ok…. maybe a bit more under stated.

I also seem to trust them in Asia.

If lounge access is important and no status I think priority pass is quite good. Unfortunately I don’t think PER and MEL are up to speed yet. No access in SYD but at least there are dining options and they are better than any lounge grub.

Adam – I have to agree on the VA front and I don’t even live in Oz, nor do I fly them that much but I’ve had so many issues with them it makes me angry, however like all airlines they seem to have their uses. I noticed they were left out of the frequent flyer programmes on this website despite being a significant player in ditch flying.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Adam – I have to agree on the VA front and I don’t even live in Oz, nor do I fly them that much but I’ve had so many issues with them it makes me angry, however like all airlines they seem to have their uses. I noticed they were left out of the frequent flyer programmes on this website despite being a significant player in ditch flying.

Yes, I have plans to add content about VA soon, including their affiliation with AirNZ. VA can be a good option for domestic AU travel if you have status with NZ, and vice-versa. I’m VA gold so is very useful using the Koru lounges when I travel to and within NZ

Thecatsgoolies
    Participant

My first experience with them was a major let down. Flight cancelled! I was smart though. Didnt hang around, went straight to the gate and got a refund and a $100 credit which sadly expired.</p>
    Other flights with them habe been fine so far. On time with great staff. I would fly them again, infact I’ll use them when i go to Rarotonga in January.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Anyone flown JQ Q300 domestic? Just curious as to how they compare to NZ? Same same?? Maybe one of the key masters could do a review?

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Maybe one of the key masters could do a review?

I’m probably the only ‘keymaster’ who would set foot on JQ metal of any description – and I’m in the wrong country!

Kiwiwings
    Participant
    Maybe one of the key masters could do a review?

I’m probably the only ‘keymaster’ who would set foot on JQ metal of any description – and I’m in the wrong country!

Sounds like you’re taking one for the team :).  I tried looking on you tube but most videos are of the outside of the plane – even if the person was inside!

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

I just don’t have a reason to fly with them. I’m more than happy to pay the price Air NZ want for flights when I want to fly somewhere.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I just don’t have a reason to fly with them. I’m more than happy to pay the price Air NZ want for flights when I want to fly somewhere.

Curiosity gets the better of me sometimes and I may try other airlines. Add in price and that sways me. Granted if you can catch some of NZ’s grabaseat fares they’re difficult to say no to. I suspect the Q300s aren’t much different from NZ but that’s just a guess at this stage.

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Well that statement didn’t last long! (Steve booked his first JQ flight in 7 years yesterday).

Kiwiwings
    Participant

All of 3 days! A320?

If all goes smoothly I don’t actually think it will be that bad.

Given Oz’s good deals (QR are offering MEL-LHR AUD $787 flash sale) I’ve often thought I’d fly JQ TT if the prices were too high on other carriers. If something went wrong there’s enough other carriers flying TT to catch the next flight. Work I can’t miss but personal you can sort of take a gamble although no one likes it when things go wrong.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.