Home Community Airlines / Frequent Flyer Programmes / Lounges Air New Zealand (NZ) / Airpoints / Koru Club Air NZ flight credits – any likelihood of refund?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kiwimac
    Participant

My wife and I have cancelled about $8,000 worth of ANZ flights due to the virus outbreak.

They were turned into credit. If we had been in the USA or Europe they would have had to refund cash.

Given the likely restrictions on borders and travel, a 12 month credit we may not be able to use strikes me as a bad deal.

I’m sure we aren’t alone in thinking full refunds would be more use to customers at this time of job losses etc.

What are the chances of Air NZ being required to offer refunds?

Adam Jobbins
    Keymaster

Their current messaging is “if you purchased a non-refundable ticket, it remains non-refundable unless local legislation requires a refund to be made available.”

Don’t believe there is anything on the cards right now to legislate refunds – and doing do may cause significant cashflow and liquidity problems. Just have to hold tight, unfortunately

Kiwimac
    Participant

Long part time we changed our legislation on that.

Given border and virus issues, I don’t think there’ll be a huge queue of people waiting to travel the world within the 12 months and I think that they’ll face some fairly irritated customers if they just keep the money.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Where were you flying to? Wasn’t the US by any chance?

If so Air NZ have to give you a refund, even though they might be saying they don’t.

Kiwimac
    Participant

Canada, USA, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Queenstown.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

If you have a flight to the US Air NZ need to refund you . They’re trying to avoid doing this at present but they are not exempt from DOT requirements for flights to/from the US.

Lodge a complaint with the DOT if you feel you’re getting nowhere with Air NZ. I know one other person who already has.

Kiwimac
    Participant

Interesting.

The flight was AKL-YVR-LAX-AKL

Would that still count?

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

You may be entitled to a refund. When were your flights and had they been cancelled or did you cancel?

If they cancelled call Air NZ back and tell them they are in breach of DOT regulations if they do not provide you with a refund.

If you cancelled for a forward booking that is still scheduled you may not have a lot of negotiating power as this is not necessarily in breach of any DOT rules.

Kiwimac
    Participant

Just spoke with them.

Their view is that unless it was booked in the US and paid in US$ it isn’t covered by DOT rules.

harbourside
    Participant

I have just had my flights from Buenos Aires to Auckland cancelled.    This was a one way flight as I was going to be on a cruise ending in Buenos Aires.  As Air New Zealand no longer can offer me a flight I will be wanting a refund.  What are my chances of getting one.  I am still waiting to hear from them.  I do not want a credit.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Air NZ are under no obligation to offer refunds on flights to Beunos Aires, and there is no legal requirement (such at there is for US or European flights).

In this situation it’s pretty much a case of accepting a credit since you opted not to book a refundable fare.

Kiwimac
    Participant

The US DOT had accepted my complaint and requested a response from Air NZ…..

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

What response do you want? Air NZ have been giving US refunds for weeks. Have you asked them?

Kiwimac
    Participant

Yes. Twice. Refused both times.

harbourside
    Participant

It was Premium Economy.  What use is a credit if I have to book on another airline.  Air New Zealand have permanently stopped flying to Buenos Aires.  My outward flights are on Singapore Airlines to Barcelona,but booked through Air New Zealand.    These are not until November, so I will have to face those problems later.  Cruise will probably be cancelled.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.