Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) Would you fly backwards to fly forwards?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

If you’re starting your journey from an airlines hub it’s well known that prices are generally more expensive than if you fly through the hub.

e.g. it’s cheaper flying business class Auckland to Perth via the east coast on Qantas than it is to fly a domestic east coast to Perth.

NZ has cheaper flights from Australia – Auckland – US than originating in Auckland.

I always thought I’d never fly to Australia to get to the US as the added fly time puts me off. However some of these prices on Air NZ make me think twice. Flightfinderau.com previously had NZ business class at ~ $4200? return from Oz east coast to the US, and grabaseat currently has prices at $3200 one way from Auckland. Even if you took a cheap economy fare over it might be worth it. At the current PE prices out of Oz for $2300 http://www.flightfinderau.com/premium-economy-airnz/ and from NZ $2790 on grabaseat https://grabaseat.co.nz (although the return leg I saw for this price was via Rarotonga) I probably wouldn’t fly to Oz.

Travel Talker
    Participant

For me, it is the status points accrued so it really doesn’t matter the direction.

P.s. I thought this was a topic about seat configuration, in which case it doesn’t matter as long as the seat goes flat.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

The reason flights are cheaper from Oz doesn’t really have much to do with hubs. It’s everything do to with their market being far more competitive and Air NZ having to offer cheaper pricing to attract passengers.

If you are booking a flight ex Australia you should be able to arrange a stopover of more than 24 hours in Auckland which will mean your bags can be short checked and there is then no need to fly the final leg back to Australia.

Kiwimac
    Participant

I know my brother, who lives in California, usually pays far less than I do to fly on Air NZ.

Sometimes when on Skype, we will go to our respective Air NZ websites and ‘book’ seats on the same flights just to see how much less he gets charged. It’s usually a significant difference.

At the end of the day, there is no way I am parting with NZ$12,000 to fly Business to London so it would have to be about 50% of that before I would consider it.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

The reason flights are cheaper from Oz doesn’t really have much to do with hubs. It’s everything do to with their market being far more competitive and Air NZ having to offer cheaper pricing to attract passengers. If you are booking a flight ex Australia you should be able to arrange a stopover of more than 24 hours in Auckland which will mean your bags can be short checked and there is then no need to fly the final leg back to Australia.

I read of one person on another airline doing this and complaining because despite the layover he didn’t get his bags back. The airline had kept them to prevent this short checking so if I were flying to Oz to then head to the US I’d fly the whole lot as painful as the extra time would be, but if the price is right I’ll consider it!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I know my brother, who lives in California, usually pays far less than I do to fly on Air NZ. Sometimes when on Skype, we will go to our respective Air NZ websites and ‘book’ seats on the same flights just to see how much less he gets charged. It’s usually a significant difference. At the end of the day, there is no way I am parting with NZ$12,000 to fly Business to London so it would have to be about 50% of that before I would consider it.

I was gob smacked when I saw LAX-LHR for $260. I’ve often wondered if we were flying to the UK via Canada, US who we would fly the 2nd leg with if not departing LAX but I think I’m coming to the conclusion as much as I’d like to avoid LAX I’d probably drop back down to LAX just to fly NZ rather than another airline. Very happy flying economy at that price!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.