Home Community General Travel Travel Tips Train Travel UK

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by gnfb.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    gnfb
    Participant

Its been awhile since i thought about the cost of travel in the uk. It came up when I had to book 10 days out travel for 2 people 2nd class from Sheffield to Egahm (Greater London) how about 162 pound $304 NZD. Usually my sister acts as taxi when I am in the uk and I haven’t given paying for domestic travel much thought (remind me to grovel and beg next time i need her services!). I wonder how that compares to here?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I have to admit I don’t even think about train travel in NZ. It feels pretty nonexistent whereas in the UK it’s a reasonable option as they actually have a network.

I’ve seen variable train prices and generally compare to flights. Sometimes it’s more expensive than flying. Possibly even rent a car and drive although there’d be one way fees so maybe not.

You could have taken the train to Manchester then flown to any of the London airports then taken the various transport options into the city. Some of the ticket prices aren’t too bad although Manchester airport appears to have a terrible reputation.

I think I paid less than you to get from Euston to Glasgow. That might even include the Uber ride in!

gnfb
    Participant

I agree the rail network in the uk is significant. I was mainly hit with “sticker shock” There are several websites to help you establish a good fair price. Flying is obviously an option but be aware of the “getting from the airport cost” for iinstance the average cost of taxi from Manchester airport to Sheffield $150 nzd. The other option for transport is coaches they take a lot longer but can be very cheap.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.