Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

I picked up a travel brochure today and it mentioned tipping was ‘customary’ in Asia.  See below. I don’t remember tipping in Asia. Heading back later in the year.

I’m not against saying ‘keep the change’ etc given I’m usually receiving amazing service or the meal is crazy delicious and I’m paying dirt cheap prices for it. But I’ve never once thought I needed to tip like say, the US.

Thoughts?

floydbloke
    Participant

Reading other travel forums there appear to be mixed views on this.

I’d venture to say that it is not customary but is becoming expected, as the photo in your post above suggests.  Could this be a results of increased numbers of American tourists perhaps in recent years, who are used to tipping at home so automatically do it when on holiday?

I don’t mind tipping for a good service but I ‘d like to be the judge.  I detest when tour guides give their wee spiel at the end of a few hours or a day out and pressure you into giving them a tip.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I wonder if it’s related to the style of travel eg tour bus.

I tend to book through Qantas or online rather than travel brochures. Never had any issues with the tours or being asked for tips. Will be interesting to see what happens later. We haven’t booked any tours yet although I have an idea of what I’d like to do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.