Home Community General Travel Hotels & Accomodation Lots of new hotels coming up for NZ

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

The prices for Auckland Airport hotels can be pretty ridiculous so I started looking more towards the Novotel Ellerslie or Auckland CBD for slightly cheaper options. Also been hunting around some websites and was impressed to read of several planned hotels for other parts of NZ.

I never knew NZBT existed but they have a list of new hotels planned which I’m pretty excited about!  https://www.nzbusinesstraveller.co.nz/category/hotels/

There is a Pullman planned for Auckland Airport late 2019 next to the Novotel. I’m wondering if that’s going to take more car parking space away?  A Pullman is also planned for Rotorua in late 2018 just a stones throw away from Eat Street. Rotorua gets a few tour buses through there. More Pullmans may mean more lounge access for those entitled or who pay for it?

The Auckland Mercure in the CBD that you may love to hate has been refurbished and now operating as a Grand Mercure. The pics on the Accor website look nice! It’s worth another look I think. The Skybus shuttle also drops you walking distance to this hotel.

There’s SPG’s Four Points which looks to be placed at the same address as the main Skybus CBD stop where you change to the city shuttle. I hate that changeover. I’m a bit surprised SPG has come back to NZ with their cheaper brand but I also welcome a quality product at a better price point (fingers crossed). Will be easy to keep your SPG points alive with a cheap stay in NZ. I think it’s ear marked to open later in the year?

I hope the Park Hyatt by the Auckland Viaduct will help drive down prices of other hotels but suspect it will just cater to an increase in that end of the market. Just an assumption. I think I’ll be looking for a sale if I want to try it out.

The Crowne Plaza due to open in Christchurch looks great as well. I tend to go for Rydges but looking at pictures will be keen to venture over for a look!

chris021
    Participant

More beds at the Airport has got to be a good think. The Airport Ibus budget is pretty bad but usually very cheap.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Yeah and I’m sure the prices will still be sky high rather than cheaper. I should try ibis budget but I’m just not sure about the trade off of being “pretty bad”. The pics look basic, clean and a place to arrive, sleep and leave. If you have any additional time on your hands, apart from a quick meal then what is there to do? What’s the bed like? Noise levels?

chris021
    Participant

I found the bed average and it was very basic. Like you don’t get a glass / cup / mug in your room basic!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I found the bed average and it was very basic. Like you don’t get a glass / cup / mug in your room basic!

Ah – BYO water bottle. Hmmm –  I think you’re “unselling” it to me!

I think if prices are sky high I’ll have to do it as I prefer to just roll out of bed and not have the stress wondering if you’re going to make your flight. I did look at travelling from the CBD if prices were cheaper there but the CBD is a hassle. More home work required. Maybe try cab from Novotel Ellerslie or Uber. Recent crap taxi experience so being next to the airport even if it is cheap is probably preferable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.