Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) Lets give Airbnb a go.

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Greg.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greg
    Participant

Recently I started hosting guests via Airbnb, it seemed like a good idea at the time, and as it turned out it was, I have now hosted maybe 12 guests over the last 3 months, we first did it to help off-set the price of getting Sky TV back on for my mum, which use to be quite expensive. Having strangers stay at the house is a bit funny and it takes a while to get use to it, but mostly it has been great, we had a spare room at the front of the house doing nothing, its close to the front door and the bathroom, so people staying has caused us very little impact, we only charge $35.00 a night so it’s cheap, I recommend leaving a little container of wrapped sweets for guests, I think we have a near perfect rating mostly due to the sweets me thinks, but if you are thinking about hosting, I would recommend it if your situation suits. Cheers Greg

Kiwiwings
    Participant

It probably beats the alternative of having a flatmate / boarder year round if you’re trying to bring down costs. For me I think the layout of your house can be important as to how comfortable you are with having someone else around.

We stayed on a farm just out of Hamilton because it was pet friendly and their room with ensuite was on the other side of the internal garage which I thought was ideal. Also had a tennis court, spa, and she would cook what you wanted – a very yummy cook! Wouldn’t surprise me if they’re on air bnb nowadays or NZ’s own holiday houses or book a bach sites. I think she advertised through AA before.

Thecatsgoolies
    Participant

If I had the room, I would go down that avenue. The benefits obviously with sharing your home, is meeting new people and making a few bucks.

But how do you sell yourself. A few lollies is a nice touch, but having stayed at an Airbnb previously, you come across all sorts from gift bottles of wine, fresh baking. Strawberries in the fridge etc. Just how far do you go?

Greg
    Participant

Actually adding your own little touches goes a long way, I try really hard to make the guests feel comfortable, but the last two guests only left a 4.5 star rating rather then 5 star, which is really annoying, so I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, if your rating gets to low, then no one will visit, so you do have to do a good job of hosting otherwise don’t bother doing it at all

. Cheers Greg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.