Home Community General Travel Travel Tips Duty free shopping discounts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

https://www.aeliadutyfree.co.nz/aelia_loyalty?airport=AKL

I was snooping around the AIA Strata Club app and noticed Aelia offer 20% off normal duty free prices :)!! They also have some loyalty club thing. Might be worthwhile given they’re offering Johnny Walker Black as well which seems to be a favourite Whisky of some guys I know.

DFS used to offer something similar when they were in there.

https://theloopdutyfree.co.nz/t/TheLoopRewards

The loop also seems to have a loyalty club but while only skim reading it didn’t seem quite as attractive as Aelia.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

No edit button. Called to clarify if the up to 20% was just for online purchases and the lady said it didn’t exist! Just a one month promo on currently of 15% so she’d let the website people know it was wrong 🙁

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

JR Duty Free also provide 20% off for online purchases.

I know a few years back one of the companies who got booted out of Wellington airport started offering this for pickups only (they had no physical store at the airport). They could offer 20% off because the airport didn’t take a cut of the sale as it wasn’t in their physical store.. It makes you realise how airports make money apart from parking!

There are actually lots of things in duty free that are now more expensive than buying retail. You’ll find plenty champagne is cheaper at a supermarket even when it’s not on special. I also looked at a few whisky’s recently that were cheaper retail than duty free. The 20% off however did bring them down below the retail store.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I’m mixing my stores up and it was the red JR Duty free I was thinking of rather than DFS.

The thing is buying from the airport is convenient because you’re already there and need to kill a bit of time and often they have a range of champagnes or whisky larger than that found in the individual supermarkets or liquor stores. And sometimes they seem to have good deals. General wine I never buy from the airport.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.