Home Community General Travel Hotels & Accomodation Buy SPG points 35% discount 1 Feb – 16 Mar

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

Saw this on loyalty lobby.

I think this will be my 3rd year buying SPG points. Made the mistake of transferring first lot to AA (which is a bit pointless given you can buy AA miles). Transferred the 2nd lot to Singapore airlines and booked business AKL-SIN-REP for 58k SQ miles (2nd leg on Silk Air) and paid ~ $39nzd in taxes. Just bought the 3rd lot during this promo.

Transfer them in 20k increments to any of the SPG airline partners. You’ll receive an extra 5k bonus. They don’t partner with Qantas.

I’ve credited any SQ flying to SQ rather than NZ as I know I’ll use those miles.

You could accrue hotels, cars, partner airlines to SQ eg JetBlue in the US, or *A, but check the charts and that your flight actually accrues with SQ.

VA points also transfer to SQ miles instantaneously at a 1.35 loss.

AMEX can transfer 1:0.5 to SQ.

Singapore Airlines has a pretty easy search engine with decent availability. You can depart AKL/WLG/CHC or Oz.

Small catch in that transfers supposedly can take up to 10 days meaning your award flight can be snapped up by someone else. So you need to transfer ahead of time if you know you’re going to fly that direction at some point (points expire after 36 months so use it or lose it). I’m pretty sure mine transferred faster but wasn’t watching closely. AMEX also has a delayed transfer.

I think if you KNOW you are going to go but not sure when, I’d transfer them in the same year you’re flying. 3 yrs is enough time to be able to apply them to a flight and given most schedules open up a year in advance it’s closer to 4 yrs to use.

AMEX can only transfer to the cardholders named airline account

VA you can transfer to family easily and then through to their SQ account

SPG you can transfer to family etc then to their SQ account

Despite doing some reading I’m still fairly new to actually using the points but it can be great value. I have seen AKL-SIN for ~ $2000 with NZ and SQ. Actually in Oct business pricing is ~ $2100NZD so…. need to weigh up options, but if you can supplement the SPG points with points from elsewhere it represents good value.

This promo is about as good as it gets discount wise with SPG and generally you can only buy a max of 30k SPG points/yr

Kiwiwings
    Participant

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/08/12/starwood-transfer-partners-airlines/

Its 2015 article but gives you an idea about using SPG points

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.