Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) Being upgraded to Emirates Business Class

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Greg
    Participant

I traveled to Brazil so many times and do you think I was ever able to get even an upgrade or a free-bee, I don’t think so, until last year, when I paid to fly Emirates and found myself on a Qantas flight, it was leaking from the air-con in the seat in front of me which was okay until take off, when all the water found it’s way to my seat, then the in flight entertainment device on my seat was broken, when I arrived I told the lady I paid for Emirates and got Qantas which was a nightmare, so I told her I was not flying home on Qantas but Emirates, when I got to the airport for my return trip I was asked to join this staff member and that they would take care of me, the plane was one of those A380s I was being up graded, I never did ask why, all I know is, it was amazing and I will never forget it, everything was just so amazing, if you are lucky enough to be upgraded on Emirates, you will love it too.  Cheers Greg

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Ermm… I’m confused.

Did you end up on the QF flight Sydney to Santiago? then onwards? or are you flying QF to DXB then EK onwards?

What was your routing from Brazil back to ?(presumably Australia /NZ) on EK?

I prefer EK over QF generally but as far as I know it’s generally if Y is oversold and they are bumping flex tickets from Y to J and J to F etc. It used to go via QF status even if you bought the cheap seats but that seems to have changed and it now depends on the type of fare you’ve bought.

QF has PE and EK doesn’t which for me is only important on the SYD-JNB route as that’s probably the only route I’d seriously consider using QF. QF’s A330 business I think would beat an EK 777 business but that’s about it. I like the QF A330 Y seats especially the 2 seaters but I quite like EK’s A380 Y seats also so I’ll go with price.

QF aren’t known for giving out freebie upgrades although I’ve had one domestically but that was due to crap weather in SYD which meant subsequent flights were overloaded.

Either way the EK A380 bar is pretty cool. Hope you took a couple of pics.

Even on the EK site it generally tells you which airline you’re flying. I’d highly recommend checking into that especially long haul. I hate flying the surprise airline so I’m now more pedantic about that.

Despite Qantas being touted as one of (if not the most) safe airlines in the world I’m really starting to believe it’s pure luck they haven’t had any major fatalities. They certainly seem to be in the news for other airline maintenance reasons and a friend had awful stories to tell from someone that did maintenance for QF. I now value NZ’s safety record well above QF.

Greg
    Participant

I traveled Via Brisbane to see the Kiwi Bro, then Dubai Via Singapore and on to Brazil, apparently Qantas and Emirates are in some kind of alliance or were, so you could end up on either, and these days I insist on being on a Emirates flight just to make sure I don’t end up on Qantas one. Cheers Greg

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Wow – that’s making long haul even longer! Qantas and Emirates have been ‘friends’ since 2013. Qantas A330 business is good but the 747/A380 lag behind some other airlines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.