Home Community General Travel Travel Tips Auckland Airport – International

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

Thought I’d put anything AIA related here.

All those with children probably already realise that Gate 8 has some puzzles on the wall to help keep the kids entertained. Can access from gate 6 as well.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

So there’s a cool Whisky bar in the duty free area to the right after security (can’t recall the duty free store name) but it’s easy to miss if you’re just wondering through the maze as it’s closer to the back wall.

Anyway, a little birdie told me they are having their own Whisky Festival. The birdie didn’t know the dates but possibly next month? So if anyone else is passing through and discovers dates please post here. If we’re flying out during that period I’d definitely arrive early to the airport so +1 can whisky geek out.

They currently have 200 something Whiskies to taste? Just eyeballing shelves it looks around 150. Everything on the rack and on the back shelves is up for tasting. I don’t think there’s a cost? I think it’s awesome you can drink and chat to someone about Whisky. It’s frustrating if you want help buying something and the person is just there to make a sale and doesn’t know anything. Some of these bottles aren’t cheap! Apparently they’re aiming for 365 Whiskies which is pretty impressive.

I’ve certainly noticed more small bottles on sale of spirits and Whiskys which is a pretty good buy considering the prices hotels charge if you’re just after a night cap and don’t want to head out.

p.s. I don’t drink the crap 🙂

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Lucky you didn’t use the words whisky and crap at the start. I would have overlooked the rest of the post. 😀

Interesting concept.. I doubt it’ll be free though, they’ve been doing tastings there for a while and it’s around $5 drink from memory but they’re pretty generous.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Lucky you didn’t use the words whisky and crap at the start. I would have overlooked the rest of the post. 😀 Interesting concept.. I doubt it’ll be free though, they’ve been doing tastings there for a while and it’s around $5 drink from memory but they’re pretty generous.

You wouldn’t have gone past the pictures!

Will ask prices next time.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

One thing I think Auckland Airport could do better is create better dining areas rather than the ‘food court’ style. Seems to be the look they’re going for. Opportunity missed.

So far if I had to spend time outside the lounge it would be land side at the Novotel or Macs bar place (can’t remember the actual name) on the departures level.

There is also some quieter more comfy seating off towards gates 15-18 but many travellers may not realise it’s there. They should put that info in their app.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.