Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steven_Ellis
    Participant

I’ve managed to score Air NZ Elite the last 3 years, but this year it is going to be a struggle. I use a Kiwibank credit card to get the maximum amount of status points outside of flights. Then a combination of domestic trips and the occasional Singapore or OZ flight to top that up.

A back of the envelope calculation indicates I’ll be between 30 and 50 points short by the middle of August.

One options is an additional paid domestic trip to top things up. Any recommendations?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Have you looked at any status run options? Either domestic or to Oz? You could just make a weekend of it? Or are there time limits and you can only give up a day to go flying? I’m guessing from another post you’re Auckland based? Any status point rollover from the previous year? Do you have any upcoming trips overseas or Australia? (you could upgrade those to get more SP?)

Steven_Ellis
    Participant

Timing is a bit of an issue as I’ve got some AU and NZ travel in August already – so I’d want a day trip that would provide maximum points.

Sadly no roll-over points this year. I only just scraped through last year thanks to roll-over points.

Upgrading my OZ trip could be an interesting option.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I’d look at the cost of upgrading current flights first. You get a better seat, service etc and more status points and it doesn’t take up any more of your time.

Otherwise you could post some dates to fly and your departure airport either here or on the Flyertalk Air New Zealand forum. I mention that because it sees a lot more traffic so you’re more likely to get faster responses drawing on a lot of different peoples experiences as it’s not an uncommon question.

There’s no booking change fee for upgrading flights to the islands or across the ditch. Pay the obvious fare difference. You can change it online or by phoning. Phoning incurs a service fee – maybe $30? It’s been ages since I’ve done this. I’m not sure if any fees are incurred by online changes.

Travel Talker
    Participant

How many SP are you short?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

How many SP are you short?

First post mentions 30-50 SP

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

For 30-50 points it’s IMHO well worth a status run as you’re looking at a maximum of $300 to earn 50 SP.

If you get within around 20 SP or have bookings very soon after the anniversary date Air NZ have been known to have been generous in the past if you ask nicely.

drajk
    Participant

For 30-50 points it’s IMHO well worth a status run as you’re looking at a maximum of $300 to earn 50 SP.  

Is that only from Wellington with the reverse direction loophole?

Can you give some examples of that earn if possible from AKL – they may well be very useful.

I don’t think I’ve ever earned SP that easily.

I have had ~$500 return AKL-CHC only earn me about 22SP. My approx $650 flexiplus return AKL-CHC this weekend will earn me 37SP.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

As we all know SP is a complex combination of route, aircraft type and price paid. It also excludes tax so earn on flights to Australia can be very poor. It still doesn’t explain however why the minimuim SP earn for flights to Australia is 7 (which is what you’ll get on most special fares), whereas it’s 8 on a domestic flight.

I’m not aware of any routes ex AKL now where you can use the reverse direction trick.

Kiwimac
    Participant

It’s certainly complex. I have got Wellington to Sydney return flights which will pay 9 status and 2 APD.

Yet I also have a simple Wellington to Auckland return paying 10 status and 3 APD!

Steven_Ellis
    Participant

I’ve ended up upgrading an existing trip to Sydney to Business Class one way. It will provide enough of a top up to keep Elite, plus I get to enjoy an early dinner in Business Class on a 787.

Cost wise it was about the same as booking a domestic return trip, and I don’t need to arrange the time for the extra trip.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Awesome – glad that worked out for you. Celebrate with a glass of champers while you’re at it 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.