Home Community General Travel The Departure Lounge (Off Topic) Amazon Echo vs Google Home

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul Spain
    Keymaster

Following on from this news about Air NZ offering a service on Amazon Alexa (following on from what they announced on Google Assistant end of last year):

https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/airline/air-new-zealand-says-kia-ora-alexa/ 

I’m curious who here has a smart speaker / intelligent personal assistant device?

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I have to admit I’m not an early adopter of technology. Someone told me never to get the first version of anything as issues still need to be worked out, they rely on complaints and feedback to work fixes for problems. So I’ll be taking a back seat until I find a functional purpose that is significantly better than my current needs.

Interestingly the Air NZ magazine had an article on Meridian and Nest collaborating on home tech stuff. Interesting but not enough to make me want to buy.

That’s not to say I may not purchase in the future and I certainly think they look cute but at this point in time, happy to hang ten as I rank functionality over form.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Based upon my observances at CES this year Google have won the war.

GlobalTraveller
    Participant

I’m not so sure. Google spent a lot of money to be visible at CES but I think there were actually more things overall with Amazon Alexa.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

I’m not so sure. Google spent a lot of money to be visible at CES but I think there were actually more things overall with Amazon Alexa.

Google spent money on both.

I totally disagree about the total number of Alexa products though. For every product with Alexa support there were probably 5 with Google Assistant support.

Many manufacturers are hedging their bets on both, but in the case of many of them (Panasonic TV’s being a classic example) the functionality using Alexa is very limited compared to using Google Assistant. Speaking to Panasonic about this the limitations are because Alexa itself, they’re not in any way trying to cripple the product and don’t have a preference at this point for one vs the other.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.