Home Community General Travel Hotels & Accomodation Accor plus is a must for Uluru

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kiwiwings
    Participant

If anyone is headed to Uluru for at least 2 nights then purchasing Accor plus is a no-brainer. Barring Longitude 131 the properties here are currently owned by Accor. And being isolated – they’re expensive.

Accor is also fairly prevalent throughout NZ and Australia with a wide range of properties from budget eg Ibis to Pullman/Sofitel and they continue to expand their hotel network. The Accor plus benefits are throughout the Asia Pacific region.  I think I bought A+ for $349 last year which gave us a complimentary night free, free breakfast certificate for 2, access to 10% off Accor properties and access to red hot room deals. You also receive Silver membership which lets you earn more points to use later, free internet, a welcome drink (if you’re lucky some places see 2 of you and will give you 2 free drinks but mostly 1), and late checkout on request (probably just an hr extension rather than 4pm). Currently it’s NZD$385. There are also discounts for food with 1 person 25%, 2 people 50%, 3 people 33% and 4 people 25%. I received an email within a few days of joining last year saying I could show that to Accor places confirming membership while I was waiting for my card. Apparently if you can wrangle an address in Asia you can receive even more benefits.

All of the accommodation at Uluru is pricey so we ended up paying around $445 or so for 2 nights in total along with a free breakfast and discounted dining. A single night is ~ $500. I tried using points but the original starting price went up meaning the points would only bring it back down to baseline prices so I was better off using A+. You would save in excess of $200 just on one stay of 2 nights.

You can still dine at Accor properties throughout Asia Pacific even if not staying and receive the dining discounts but there are some exclusions eg breakfasts at resorts (unfortunately Sails in the Desert is considered a resort). There is a really good buffet dinner at Novotel in Rotorua I take my dad to which has totalled $50 for food for both of us which I think is amazing value and we have been there for lunch also. Drinks aren’t entitled to the discount apparently.

Accor plus is also available through the AMEX charge card currently I think until Sept 2017. I expect this benefit to disappear next year given the Australian AMEX charge has seen Accor disappear from the benefit list already, but I secretly hope it stays.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got more than my moneys worth from this programme.

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

There are some great deals to be had with hotel programs, and the reality is they can do a great job of encouraging lock-in to a brand as people chase points and benefits.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

True.

I don’t think I can personally lock into one particular brand, it just doesn’t suit my travel patterns. Spreading myself thin seems to work better as it leaves me with more flexibility but that doesn’t mean you have to forego status perks or pay full price 🙂

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I ate at the Novotel with my partner  and was thinking for those departing AKL without lounge access the Novotel is a good place to grab a bite and hang out after checking in but prior to clearing security etc. The A+ card would help with the food bill with 2 people paying 50%.

Kind of like priority pass pass for Syd etc where even those seeing you off could grab a bite with you.

Just something to keep in mind!

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Lots of weird things happened to that post, anyway ACCORPLUSNZ is the code for getting 10% discount off Qatar flights ex Auckland until 15 Oct 2017 for travel 10 July to 30 June 2018 although I do think its cheaper buying tickets originating from UK/EU on sale than ex NZ. Useful if you’re going back and forth.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

Forgot to add – if you don’t have a one world program you can accrue flights to Qatar then transfer to Accor. The transfer of points is a 2 way street. Pretty sure the details are on the Qatar website or via google.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.