Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tomgeeknz
    Participant

Flying home from the US after 7 months of work, unfortunately on AA from MIA-LAX-SYD and connecting QF SYD-CHC on the same ticket….

Can someone tell me whether I will have to collect my bags in SYD? I have an almost 11 hour layover on the Monday, and would rather just get out of the airport, and clear my head before the short flight home…

Any AA/MIA tips/tricks also appreciated…. will clear immigration into Port Everglades at 6am Saturday, so will probably have a few hours to kill at MIA as well.

Kiwiwings
    Participant

I’m not 100% sure of the answer although we did just fly SIN-MEL-AKL and didn’t need to pick up bags in Melbourne with Qantas. I guess the check-in agent will tell you (although I don’t always believe what they say – especially if it doesn’t swing in my favour!)

I know there were some issues with One World Airlines deciding they wouldn’t interline although your journey is all on one ticket so I really don’t think you’ll need to pick bags up in Sydney as you’re only transiting.

I’d agree if your transit times in airport are long enough to get out of the airport then do so. I always feel like I’m just waiting when I’m in airports. When I’m out of the airport I feel like I’m exploring. There are bound to be some easy transport options to get out of the airport. Never been to MIA but the train is right there at Sydney airport, and then there is Uber as well if you just want to get back quick smart.

Long flight home – hope it goes smoothly.

tomgeeknz
    Participant

Cool, that seems to be the basic consensus I found while doing some deeper digging yesterday. I’m hoping for a smooth flight too, especially the LAX transfer, don’t really want to spend another 24hours in LAX. Looking more likely I’ll be held on board the ship until traveling to MIA at check in time, less time to kill at the airport is fine by me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.