Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    GlobalTraveller
    Participant

I used to like it when Qantas would fly to Los Angeles from Auckland, then on to New York. It was so much nicer flying West coast to East Coast USA on a decent sized plane rather than being crammed on a crammed domestic flight.

Does anyone else miss this or just me? Any chance Qantas will start doing these flights again?

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

I can’t see Qantas launching them again – the reason AA launched the service (and flights from Sydney to the US) was because of the planned joint venture between QF and AA that was rejected by the US DOT late last year. I actually haven’t much about this lately to see if they have actually appealed against this at all.

While I don’t have a crystal ball my pick would be on Emirates eventually launching flights from NZ to the USA.

Paul Spain
    Keymaster

Yes, I loved those flights too. They were the best way from NZ to New York but sadly are no longer.

These days a flight to Houston is a good option, as from there you’re nearly 2-hours closer to New York than when flying from Los Angeles. It makes the domestic flight around 3-hour and 20-minutes.

GlobalTraveller
    Participant

Taking the Air New Zealand flight to Houston seems like a reasonable alternative. What other direct destimations are there in USA these days?

Steve Biddle
    Keymaster

Air New Zealand fly to Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Francico and Houston. There is still speculation of another destination when the new additional Dreamliner’s arrive later this year with more business and premium economy seating. Talk is still of Chicago being another possible destination.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.